Thursday 14 April 2011

Preparation

Reflecting back on my placement, I was very nervous beforehand as I was not sure how the students would respond to me, and the ideas I was trying to get across.  As a result, I wrote quite detailed lesson plans, which looking back was very beneficial.  I am a bit overly organised/keen at times so this does reflect my working style, however it did mean that when I walked into the first class I had some idea of what I was doing, which calmed my nerves.  My plans did not always go accordingly, based on the particular class, but it gave me something to work around.
One suggestion that the Researchers in Residence trainers gave us, was the use of word searches.  Most classes have a real range of students in them, and inevitably, there will be students who fly through the tasks or those whose imaginations don’t run away with them.  Having some word searches on the theme of the lesson was a lifesaver.  I was shocked how much the students loved them: noisy students suddenly became silent.  I used this website to create my own sea level/past climate word searches.

No comments:

Post a Comment